Friday, November 12, 2010

Microsoft’s BI Roadmap says NO to OLAP Cubes and MDX

So Microsoft PASS Summit 2010 was kicked off on November 10th, and the burning topic was where Microsoft’s Analysis Services product is headed in light of Microsoft’s new PowerPivot offering. Chris Webb, probably one of Analysis Service’s biggest fans and experts, said it best:

“The last few days have been quite emotional for me. I’ve gone from being very angry, to just feeling sad, to being angry again; I’m grateful to the many members of the SSAS dev team who’ve let me rant and rave at them for hours on end and who have patiently explained their strategy – it’s certainly helped me deal with things. So what’s happened to make me feel like this? I’ll tell you: while it’s not true to say that Analysis Services cubes as we know them today and MDX are dead, they have a terminal illness. I’d give them two, maybe three more releases before they’re properly dead, based on the roadmap that was announced yesterday.”

The full post and consequent comments can be found here.

Readers of The ElastiCube Chronicles may recall a previous post titled ‘Is Microsoft Admitting that Analysis Services is not Fit for the Mid-Market?’ published back in August 2010, in response to the official release of PowerPivot. Well, I believe that question has been officially answered - Yes.
By: Elad Israeli | The ElastiCube Chronicles - Business Intelligence Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Blog Directory Technology Blog Directory Business Intelligence Directory